During the week there are as many as 50 slots for volunteers. Some congregations have a different member for each slot; others have volunteers take on multiple roles. Volunteers come from the host and support congregations and are assigned duties by the Volunteer Coordinators – members of the host congregation who oversee the week.
Our van arrives at the congregation in the afternoon with cots and the families’ personal belongings to be set up in a designated space. Guest families arrive at the Host congregation Sunday evening. The rooms for the families and the common area have been set up prior to the arrival.
Each Night of Hosting:
- Families settle in, relax and meet the coordinators and the evening volunteers.
- At 6:00 PM dinner is served family style.
- Guests and volunteers share the meal together.
- Families are responsible for their children and help with clean up and chores.
- After dinner, volunteers fellowship with families. Hosts and their families play games, help with homework, watch videos, or just talk.
- Food for lunch is available in the kitchen area and parents make sack lunches for their families for the following day.
- Adults turn in around 10:00 PM; children at appropriate earlier bedtimes.
- Wake up is around 6:00 AM.
- 2 Volunteers will spend the night at the congregation.
- Breakfast is served around 6:30 AM during the week; typically cereal and other convenient foods. The Network van picks the families up at 7:00 AM.